I’ve been blessed in being able to work with several strong Administrative Assistants, or Secretaries, in my career. Two in particular were tremendous support resources.
In a recent consulting engagement, the Vice President’s administrative assistant who supported me told me, “You really know how to work with an Administrative Assistant.”
My response was easy, , , “I worked with two of the best who taught me how to work with an administrative support person.”
It may not occur to you, but a good administrative assistant can help or hinder your success. In many ways this person is the face and voice into your organization. If you are fortunate to have a positive and extremely effective person supporting you and your organization, it will make a big difference.
Here is a quick list of what a good Administrative Assistant can do for you:
- Improve your productivity, , , BIG TIME
- Maintain your schedule and get you where you need to be
- Make your presentations more professional
- Help you maintain technology assets inventories
- Draft many of your correspondences
- Coordinate and organize meetings
- Develop standard weekly and monthly reports
- Organize and supervise an office move
- Coordinate the orientation of newly hired IT employees
- Screen your mail, calls, and visitors
Good secretaries can be hard to find, , , when you do find a good one, treat them well, , , they are worth their weight in gold.
Do you have examples of what a great Administrative Assistant can do to help your IT organization succeed? Post a comment below and share your experiences with others.